Monday, July 23, 2007

Life is full of "shoulds"

Ever feel like there are things you should do, but don't for some reason?! Right now I am thinking of lots of things I should be doing instead of typing. I should be taking a nap, cleaning the chipped polish off my toenails, folding laundry, making the wedding reception cards I volunteered to do, looking up some Bible references for my small group, ordering home school supplies for pre-k...the list goes on. But for no better reason than I just don't want to, I blog instead.

It's not that easy with bigger more important decisions. I've had this internal struggle for the past couple of months about taking Emma back to AWANA this year. Although I believe it is a great program overall, the one at my church just isn't run well. Last year I was a volunteer leader and it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to stick with. I came home in tears or pulling my hair out more times than not. If it were just me, I'd say I'm not going back and that would be the end of it. But Emma loved AWANA. I don't want to withold something good from her...but how good was it?

To make a long story short ~ I've been in prayer about this decision for quite a while. This weekend Tim asked Emma what her favorite part of AWANA was...she said "games." He asked her what her favorite Bible verse was...she quickly quoted Ephesians 6:1 - the first verse I ever taught her (she was 2). I began to realize that maybe I was making more of an impact on Emma with Scripture at home than AWANA was doing. And God began to form a plan in my mind and gave me tremendous peace about not going back to AWANA - this year.

All along I have felt like I should take Emma to AWANA because...well for lots of reasons. But in the end God has shown me that there other options. Since I will be home schooling Emma for pre-k, I plan to incorporate weekly Bible verses for memorization along with Bible studies and applications that truly reach her heart. And I am anticipating this to be a really FUN year for us.

My hope is that Emma will rejoin AWANA once she starts elementary school, which means we will be under new leadership. Hopefully I will be able to lead again, with joy and peace and a glad heart. Thank you Lord for delivering from that should.

No comments: