Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Confessions of a new mommy

1. I am EXHAUSTED!
The number one question I am asked about Nate is how well he sleeps at night. It's funny because we don't expect babies to eat like adults or act like adults, but most people expect them to sleep like adults...all through the night without waking up. That seems to be the number one goal with parents of newborns.

Nate sleeps really well—often times 5 to 6 hours at a time at night. But then some nights he wakes up every 2 hours. I haven't been taking afternoon naps like I should, so I have grown extremely tired this week. It's hard to catch up once you get behind.

2. I'm eating way too much junk food!
My excuse for this is that my midwife told me I needed to eat at least 2200 calories a day in order to maintain my own body and a good milk supply for Nate. So I indulge...often! Now I know she meant that I should be eating good food—like cucumbers and carrots—but I'm too tired to peel these (remember #1?), so I grab a granola bar or fruit snack or pudding instead. Besides, when I was pregnant I couldn't stand the taste of anything sweet. I'm making up for it now.

3. I don't do my daily devotions like I should!
Every morning I wake up and open my Bible as we eat breakfast. Tim or I will read a Scripture for the day and talk to Emma about what it means, then they head out the door for the day. Sometimes I continue with my own reading, but more often than not I feel too tired so I shut the book and do something else. The one thing that has improved is that I am praying constantly throughout the day. I find great peace in knowing that God is helping me through each half-awake step that I take.

4. I haven't exercised in a year!
And I love to exercise! This one is more out of my control but it bugs me nonetheless. I had to stop exercising when I was pregnant because I was so incredibly sick each day. Then I pulled some abdominal muscles at the end of my pregnancy, which are still trying to heal. This morning I tried the ab lounger and found it tolerable, so maybe I will be able to start on a slow work out regimen and get back in shape.

5. I feel very isolated sometimes!
I believe my highest calling is being a mom to two precious children. And being the mother of a newborn means putting everything else on the back burner. I do so without complaint because I feel so blessed, but it makes for long, lonely days sometimes. I'm a very active person and love to coordinate any kind of get together I can dream up....Bible studies, play dates, brunches, etc. All of that came to a screeching halt when I got pregnant and I don't see myself picking it back up anytime soon.

So what's a girl to do?
Well I try to enjoy every minute that I am with Nate and Emma and Tim. I play with Emma as often as I can. I cuddle Nate every chance I get. I read lots of books since I have a lot of sitting time (nursing and holding Nate). I pray often throughout the day. I connect with friends through Facebook. I sleep when I can and eat what I want!

I am blessed!

1 comment:

Karen Hossink said...

Oh, I was reading this, sympathizing and nodding my head. Then I got to the last part and I got excited. You're on Facebook? Girl, I've got to go find you!!!