Saturday, May 14, 2011

My First 5K as Race Director

Seven months ago I jumped in both feet to coordinating and directing a 5K fundraiser for Emma's school. Lots of people told me it couldn't be done...that we wouldn't make any money...and it would cost thousands of dollars to put on.

From the beginning I called the 5K "God's event" and felt confident we would see success. I forged ahead despite all the nay-sayers and formed a wonderful committee with some godly, hard-working moms. We went to work!

The end result was a 5K fun run that took place this morning in Monument Valley Park. It only cost us $2,000 to host, and we raised $15,700! Yes, you read that right! Through corporate sponsors, registrations and a pledge contest among the elementary students (they raised $6,500 on their own), we raised $15,700!!!! And we had 250 participants!!!

Highlights of the event were live music by Christian recording artist (and CSCS alum) Danny Oertli; the Chick-fil-A cow handing out coupons and helping us start the fun run; lots of freebies from our corporate sponsors, including goodie bags with great coupons; the 2011 Colorado Marathon winner (and my dear friend) Connilee Walter as our lead rabbit; free massages from Rockrimmon Chiropractic, a beautiful course along the river and through the trees with a view of Pikes Peak, and gorgeous weather!

God blessed us ways in we never imagined, and yet I dreamed big and prayed big and believed God would show up big. And when God does big, He does BIG!

This is my 5K committee. I am blessed to call them my friends and to have their wonderful ideas and hard work on my team.


Chalking the starting line.


Danny Oertli added so much fun and excitement to the morning.


My parents and sister's family came up from Pueblo. My Dad had double knee replacements four months ago, and he walked the entire 5K! I was so proud of him and his accomplishment. This was also the first 5K for my mom and my sister's entire family! They were awesome!


The Chick-fil-A cow added lots of fun for the kids. Take note of my shirt and visor, which both say "Race Director." Tim surpised me with them last night. I loved it!


Tim and his business partner, Jack, were our premier sponsors. Rockrimmon Chiropractic is awesome!!!


Nate and Tim cheering on the runners and walkers.


My sister Cynthia and niece Samantha.


Mom and Dad with my mother-in-law pushing Nate.


I love this picture of my Dad!


My sweet friend, Connilee, as our lead rabbit. She won the Colorado Marathon 2 weeks ago!


My brother-in-law Jeff with Emma and my niece.


My sister-in-law Judi!


My niece Jesse.


Danny Oertli having a great time playing some great music!


Emma sprinting to the finish.


And her time is...37:18! Well done Emma on your first 5K!


Some of the finest walkers on the course!


My niece Jesse finished in 30:02.


Jesse helping her Mama across the finish line.


Me and Kalie and Emma after their great finish. (Kalie finished just ahead of Emma.)


Me and my dear friend Stephanie. She was one of my biggest cheerleaders!


Free massages from Rockrimmon Chiropractic.


Part of the 5K volunteers. CSCS produces the finest volunteers I've ever had the pleasure of working with!


Emma and her cousin Sam.


Nayda works for Tim. She brought her husband and three of her five kids out to run. They did great!


I want to give God all the praise and glory for the success of the 5K fun run. He has been so gracious to us, and I look forward to what He will do next year. But for now....I need a LOOOOOONG nap!

7 comments:

Lorie said...

Oh, Cristina...this is fantastic! God always does so much more for us than we can imagine when it is done for His glory and not for ours. It is great to see that in this event! GOOD JOB to you all!

Emily said...

So glad that the event was a success!! :) You did an awesome job Cristina!

CW said...

Cristina, you sincerely did an amazing job with this event. Everything was so well thought out, even the stellar spring weather :) way to go superstar.xoxo connilee

Tom Eckert said...

Cristina, this is awesome! It was so exciting to read this post! God truly poured out His blessings on you this day! I am so happy for you! Sleep tight! May you wake refreshed to enjoy this awesome accomplishment. Bethany

Amy said...

So. Stinking. Proud. of you......

Anonymous said...

Great Job Cristina!
I would like to nominate you to be the director of our Home Improvement Reunion Relay! Jason Alvis

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Hi Cristina! I saw your comment below mine on Emily's blog and wanted to say hi. Looks like you live in Co Springs? I love local bloggers!!! Nice to meet you!

Sooooo...I chose to comment on this post because of the Danny Oertli connection. He went to school with my friend, Joanne, who had a stroke in January. He sang at her Night of Worship event and did SUCH an amazing job. Loved his music!

Congrats on a job well done! Directing a race is a HUGE deal.