Thursday, February 5, 2009

Halloween is not real!

That's what Emma said yesterday in the car as she looked at a book about Santa Claus. "What do you mean?" I asked her. She responded, "It's not real because it's not about Jesus."

This is the conversation that followed:
Me: "You're right. It's not about Jesus."
Emma: "It's just about costumes and candy. I don't like Halloween because it's not about Jesus."
Me: "Well we don't have to celebrate Halloween."
Emma: "I'm not saying I don't want to dress up and get candy. I just wish it were about Jesus."
Me: "We could do something to make it about Jesus. We could make treats to give our friends to show them the love of Jesus."
Emma: "I know! Instead of giving out candy we could draw pictures of Jesus and give to people."

A long silence follows. Then Emma says, "Some people don't know what Christmas is really about. Some people think Christmas is about Santa and elves and toys. But it's not. It's really about Jesus. It makes me sad that some people don't know what Christmas is really about. I wish they knew Christmas was about Jesus."

What could I say? Before I could agree with her, Emma said, "I have a song to sing to you." Then she sang a song (that she made up as she went) about how she wished people knew what Christmas was really about.

I was so touched at the tenderness of Emma's heart and her desire for people to know Jesus. What a reward I have already received in this precious little girl!

3 comments:

Lorie said...

What a sweet little girl! You are doing a great job mom and dad!

Diane said...

Awwww! She is amazing!!!! It's sad to say,but like Emma says,kids don't know what Christmas is all about!

SweetNLow said...

Through a child's eyes!! Isn't is amazing what they make us think about!!! Precious!