Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Nutmeg Blueberry Muffins

We love blueberry muffins around here, so I was excited to find this variation of an old favorite.


1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in milk and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.

Fill paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Combine nutmeg with 1 tbsp sugar and sprinkle over the top.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

Yield: 1 dozen

My Notes: I didn't think the nutmeg/sugar sprinkle added much to the recipe, so next time I would add about 1 tsp of nutmeg to the batter and skip the sprinkle on top. I also found that this recipe made 4-6 more muffins than the original dozen. My trick: I add muffins to another pan and fill the empty slots with a little water. Bake both pans at the same time.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Those muffins look delicious---I only had a granola bar for breakfast!

Could you explain about the tip...bake the water and the muffins at the same time? I'm cornfused!