Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Prone to Wander

I woke up this morning thinking of the words to the hymn "Come Thou Fount."

"Let thy goodness like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord I feel it. Prone to leave the God I love."


And I wonder: Why is it, when life takes a turn for the easy, when things are smooth sailing, does my heart wander? Oh, not that I turn my back on God or even forget him. But I begin skipping my daily devotions. I spend less time on my knees. My mind spends countless hours on trivial matters instead of the Word of God. My prayers are hurried at times. My heart is distracted by a long list of to-do's.

After reading the blog of a wife and mother who is living through much suffering right now, I found myself longing for those days of total dependence upon God. Those days when I petitioned God to be my portion of strength just to get out of bed and face the day. I do not want to return to my suffering of past, but I want to live in that same daily dependence on God—receiving my DAILY bread from Him.

Why does my heart wander? It's human nature. But God...He knows I am dust. He knows my weaknesses and my heart. Yet, His compassions are new every single day. He continues to beckon me to come.

"Let thy goodness like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee."



Free Signature Generator

Free Signature Generator

3 comments:

Lorie said...

Beautiful post Cristina! I do really like that song! Have you seen anything about She Speaks? Check it out!

Regular, with half and half and raw sugar said...

I need your email address!!! I have been meaning to tell you how much your comments have meant to me while I trained for the half marathon. And YOU CAN DO ONE!! Lets plan one to do together and then our families can hook up too. Something to think about!! We should get Jason and Jewel to do it too. Wouldn't that be a blast?

Jewel said...

Hey! I love the plans that you are making for us! Come on over and join us for the Great Wall of China marathon!! We like the sound of it at this point a lot more than the thought of actually training for and enduring it, but you will have to admit that the idea is intriguing! We miss you guys!