Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What's not to love about Wednesday?

This morning I woke up and went for a mile run around the neighborhood. As I neared the top of the first hill, I was taken with the view - city in one direction and mountains in the other. I stopped, thinking to myself, "I never want to be so hurried that I don't have time to stop and be thankful." So I stood and praised God for all the blessings in my life as I took in the beautiful scenery.

That was followed by breakfast on the deck (one of my favorite things about summer) and more time with God. I love to start my mornings listening to the birds and the breeze through the trees. It makes me feel like I am worshipping God with all of creation.

The kids and I had plans to go to the pool, but they begged me to let them play in the childcare area first. Really!?! OK...so I dropped them off and rode the stationary bike while I read a fantastic book by Elisabeth Elliott. An hour of uninterrupted reading. That just doesn't happen to me very often.

So I thanked the kids by swimming with them all afternoon. We snacked on lots of fresh fruit and veggies and swam till we were too tired to go on. Our time in the sun was followed by a nap for all! I relished laying on the bed listening to the afternoon rain and feeling the cool breeze blow in the windows. And the thought occurred to me (as it often does), "I am so blessed."

Blessed. Not because I don't have troubles or trials or failures or broken dreams. Blessed. Because I have a Heavenly Father who gives me days like today - days of reprieve. My daily bread. His portion for me.

No comments: